Book Review: Porcupine's Pie

Porcupine's Pie
By: Laura Renauld
Illustrated By: Jennie Poh
Published By: Beaming Books
Publication Date: October 9, 2018
Page Count: 32
Source: Kindly Provided by Publisher
Children - Picture Book

I have never considered reviewing picture books before, but now that I am a mom, I decided to give it a go when a publisher requested a review of this title. I was drawn to the fall setting, but I knew my little one would love the animal characters.

The story's main character, Porcupine, is planning to make her famous cranberry pie for the Fall Feast Day. Porcupine can't wait to share the yummy dish with all of her friends. As she's making her way to the river to wash the cranberries for her pie, she encounters her friends who are all lacking ingredients for their personal specialities. Porcupine shows true generosity to her friends which leaves her without the proper resources to construct her own dish, but in the end, her friends show up to brighten her day.

I loved this fall themed story that focuses on friendship, a giving heart, and togetherness. It is not the material items we have that bring us together, but rather our fondness for our friends and family that truly make holidays special.

With charming illustrations, a strong moral, and a recipe for friendship pie, I'd highly recommend picking up a copy of this cute tale if you are looking for a picture book with a fall flair. My toddler put his stamp of approval on this one as well and has asked to read it by name at bedtime on more than one occasion since our first read together. As we are trying to reinforce the concept of sharing, this book is a great resource. This one certainly earned a spot on his bookshelf. As a mom and a reviewer, I loved that this was one my son and I could enjoy together. I might have to take on more picture books in the future. :)


Favorite Thing About This Book: The kindness between the friends

My Toddler's Favorite Thing About This Book: "The animals shared, Mommy."

First Sentence: Porcupine prickled with excitement.

Favorite Character: Porcupine

My Toddler's Favorite Character: Bear



WINNER OF THE BEAMING BOOKS PICTURE BOOK WRITING CONTEST! 

 Porcupine can't wait to share Fall Feast with her woodland friends, so when everyone she greets is unable to bake their specialty due to a missing ingredient, Porcupine generously offers staples from her pantry. When Porcupine discovers that she, too, is missing a key ingredient, the friends all work together to create a new Fall Feast tradition. Porcupine's Pie will inspire children ages 4-8 to act generously. A recipe for "friendship pie" can be found at the end of the book.

Comments