Novella Review: Stealing Harper

Stealing Harper (Taking Chances #1.5)
Published By: William Morrow
Publication Date: May 21, 2013
Page Count: 100
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Publisher via Edelweiss
Audience: New Adult - Contemporary Romance

I would highly suggest NOT reading this review if you haven't had the pleasure of reading Taking Chances. Instead go read my review of that novel and then READ IT. I allude to something that happens in the first novel and TRUST ME, you do NOT want to be spoiled. 

Before I begin, I think I should admit that I am Team Brandon. Chase gave me emotional whiplash in Taking Chances; I was so frustrated with him for being stubborn. He always felt like he knew what was best for Harper instead of letting her choose for herself. Harper isn't totally blameless - she has her frustrating moments too. I did get to a point where I really liked Chase, but it took Stealing Harper for him to truly steal my heart. I still am Team Brandon, but at least now I understand the allure of Chase.

This novella does a beautiful job of putting the reader into Chase's mind. I understood his actions and choices a lot more. Even though I didn't always agree with how he chose to handle things, I can at least see that he was coming from a place of love. He truly wanted the best for Harper, but he couldn't always handle it when that meant that she was with Brandon instead of him. 

The plot doesn't stray from Taking Chances, but there are a few new scenes (particularly at the tattoo shop) that were not in the original story because Harper was not present. I will say the dreaded ending was more painful and poignant than the original one. I kept hoping that somehow, some way Molly would change things this time around. I wept like a baby when I read Taking Chances, but Stealing Harper evoked the ugly wail. My heart was broken and Brandon wasn't even there to stitch it back up again.

This is a MUST read for all Taking Chances fans. It's still hard to let Chase go, but it was nice to keep him with me a little bit longer. At this point, my only complaint is that Molly can't write fast enough for my tastes. I adore her characters and wish that I could spend more time with them. Molly is my go to when I am craving a New Adult read. 


One Last Gripe: Finding out how the accident actually happens infuriated me. How could Chase have been so stupid?!?!?

My Favorite Thing About This Book: I enjoyed watching Harper and Chase evolve from his perspective. And I might have enjoyed the preview of Forgiving Lies... :)

First Sentence: "That it?" I asked one of my housemates, Derek, as we passed each other in the hall.

Favorite Character: Harper

Least Favorite Character: Trish - ugh, still loathe that witch



Chase Grayson has never been interested in having a relationship that lasts longer than it takes for him and his date to get dressed again. But then he stumbles into a gray-eyed girl whose innocence pours off her, and everything changes. From the minute Harper opens her mouth to let him know just how much he disgusts her, he's hooked.

But a princess deserves a Prince Charming who can make her dreams come true. Not a guy who can turn her life into a nightmare.

All good intentions go out the window when Harper starts to fall for the guy Chase has come to view as a brother. He wanted to protect her by keeping her away, but he can’t stand to see her with anyone else, and he’ll do anything to make her his. But when it comes down to Harper choosing between the two, will Chase have the strength to step back from the girl who has become his whole world if it means she’ll be happy?

Lines will be crossed. Friendships will be put to the test. And hearts will be shattered.

Comments